Please read through our foster parent criteria and our vetting process first before filling out the application.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must live within 1 hour of Fremont (CA), Concord (CA), Monterey (CA), and Turlock (CA) as those are where our partner vets are, unless you’re willing to cover the dog’s vet bills.
- Must be willing and able to drive to vet appointments.
- Must have a safe and loving home for the dog.
- Must not leave the dog unattended for more than 6 hours.
- Must be willing and able to provide the dog for adoption events and drive to the adoption and outreach events.
- Must ensure that your personal pet is up-to-date on all the necessary vaccinations. Dogs from shelters are susceptible to shelter illnesses and so may carry or catch different diseases/illnesses. If your pet gets sick when fostering[ our dogs, we cannot cover the medical expenses for your personal pet
We are a small organization that is 100% run by volunteers who have full-time jobs. Our Foster-Rescue relationship is a collaboration/partnership. We try to provide as much assistance as we reasonably can, but we expect our fosters to work with us too to foster a give & take relationship.
What is the Process to Apply to Become a BARK Foster?
- Fill out our Foster Application below
- Our Foster Coordinator will be in touch with you within 72 hours to schedule a virtual interview, which will include a virtual home check. We do our best to place you with a dog that would be a good fit for you. In order to do that, we need to learn more about you, your dog care experience and home environment, and this is done through the interview and the virtual home check.
- If we approve you to be a BARK Foster, we will send you our Foster Agreement for you to sign and submit back to us as soon as possible so we can start looking for a dog to place with you. If we already have a dog in mind for you, we will need the signed Foster Agreement submitted before we schedule for you to pick up the dog. Please keep in mind that Our dogs are in foster homes with foster parents who have full time jobs and their own personal schedule and our organization is 100% run by volunteers who also have full-time jobs. If you’d like a meet & greet with the dog before you decide to foster him/her, we can only accommodate that for an approved BARK foster at a time agreed upon by all parties involved (i.e. foster parent, our Foster Coordinator, and you).
- Once we have determined a dog to place with you, we will arrange for you to pick up the dog, either from a transport volunteer who will be meeting you and our Foster Coordinator or directly from the shelter.
If you meet the above criteria and are interested in being a foster and are willing to go through our vetting process, please fill out our Foster Application below and a Foster Coordinator will be in touch within 72 hours. If you have not heard back from our Foster Coordinator after 72 hours, please email email@example.com to follow up.